Saturday, October 19, 2013

Write Your Stories

One of the things I do with my dad is write his life history.  He has Parkinson's disease, and we never know how long he will be completely cognizant.  He has been wanting to write his story for a long time now.  My mom was helping him with the first part, and since her passing, I have taken it up with him.

Mom and Dad just before they were married

It's fun to hear his stories.  It's not unusual for Dad to be a little bit fuzzy in his thinking - mentally off-balance.  But when he remembers his past, the sparkle is back in his eye.  He talks faster than I can type, which isn't hard.  I ask questions to help him remember parts, and then he's off again.  I think writing down our stories actually helps us remember them better.  And there is the added benefit of being able to pass them along to future generations as well.  I don't think my own childhood would have been as rich without my favorite Little House on the Prairie books.

That's one reason I blog.  It forces me to write some of the little stories we create in our day-to-day living.  The good stories make me happy twice - once for the living it, and once (or more!) for the reading it.


Just for today, write down a story.  And then maybe find a notebook or folder on your computer where you can keep stashing more of your stories.  Yes, your stories are important, because YOU are!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read all his stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should put them on a Google Doc and we can share as we go. They are pretty rough now and need to be edited and smoothed. But fun stories!

      Delete