Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Settle and Un-Busy-fy

Un-busy-fy.  I like my new, made-up word.  I think, and I think most of us agree, that we are often too busy.  And sometimes busy just for the sake of being busy.

Dieter Uchtdorf, the man whose impeccable German accent reminds me of my own dear Opa, said it this way:

Isn’t it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we even wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was an accomplishment or sign of a superior life.
Is it?
I think of our Lord and Exemplar, Jesus Christ, and His short life among the people of Galilee and Jerusalem. I have tried to imagine Him bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things accomplished.


Slow down.  Do the important things.  Enjoy the people around you.  Drink up the fall colors.  I'm talking to myself, as a result of my overly crazy self these past few days.  And that's all I'm going to say, because I'm getting off the computer to go read a story to my kidlets and love on them.


Just for today, settle your brains for a few minutes, un-busy-fy, and really live.  Then jump back in if you must, a bit happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment