Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Love Boat

I've had this song running through my head all day.  Normally, I don't mind having tunes stuck in my head, unless they are the musical equivalent of styrofoam.  Today, it was the cheerful theme song from The Love Boat.


I remember watching this show when I was a kid, even though it wasn't really a kid show.  It came on Saturday nights, after we were supposed to be in bed.  We'd had our Saturday night baths ("Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday..."), we'd washed our hair, set out our Sunday best, and polished our shoes with Dad on the back porch.  Then all the boys had to go to bed.  And I got to stay up.  I'm sure I rubbed it in some, even though I shouldn't have and I'm sorry now.

My mom sat on the couch so she could watch The Love Boat, and I sat on the floor in front of her.  She carefully combed my long, thick, wet hair and wound it around those green plastic rollers.  I didn't much care for sleeping on all those hard knobs, but it did look pretty and curly on Sunday.  It was worth it to be able to stay up late.  If we were really running late, I even got to watch Fantasy Island.


Even at my young age, I had a vague understanding that this show was not for little children, but I delighted in the naughty raciness of it.  I'm sure if I watched it now, it might seem tame and campy.  Which is why I won't watch it now.

I'll just savor the remembrances of spectacular vistas and fancy parties on the Princess cruise ships while snuggled up against my mom's legs and she ran her fingers through my hair.  I'ts a happy childhood memory that floats back to me every now and then.

Love, exciting and new... come aboard, we're expecting you... love, life's sweetest reward... let it flow, it floats back to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment