Saturday, March 31, 2012

Today I...

Some days are busy.  Some days, I don't feel like I really accomplished anything.  Some days I actually don't.  This is the story of a full day.

Toady, I slept in some.  I made breakfast (a special weekend one: English muffins with eggs and bacon, milk, orange slices).  I cleaned up the kitchen, and taught a reluctant teenager how to mop a floor.  I moved big dining chairs so a son could vacuum under the table more easily (hate having carpet under our table).  I organized a fair chore list.  I fed babies.  I changed a dozen diapers.

 I made bread.  I deep-fat fried the bread dough into fry bread when it didn't rise.  I made dinner (fry bread, homemade apricot jam, little smokies in barbecue sauce, and carrot sticks).  I pulled screaming children in from a beautiful afternoon.  I put the two of the small children down for naps.  I sang songs together with my children.  I settled arguments.  I cleaned the computer room.  I folded two loads of laundry.  I vacuumed the living room.  I moved a pile of boxes back into the closet I had taken them out of (two months ago) when I thought I was going to organize said closet.  I lost my daughter (Dad took her on an errand).

I gave two haircuts and three baths.  I got four boys through the shower.  I helped a son decide that his shirt was really, unbearably wrinkly, and found another shirt for him.  I threatened terrible happenings if the Legos didn't get picked up (only half found a home).  I made more food (we downed a number 10 can of peaches, a whole bunch of cottage cheese, orange floats, and pretzel sticks).  I made two fighting boys lay on their backs on the floor and sing until they were laughing.  I watched my sons play tennis on the Wii.

I made an alphabet banner out of a sheet of poster board.  I showed a boy how to scrub soap scum off the edges of a sink.  I taught a little girl how to play "Hokie Pokie".  I read bedtime stories and brushed three little mouths full of teeth.  I smiled as a teenaged son gave me a hug.  I told all my children that I loved them.

And I watched four hours of TV - two 2-hour church meetings.  We'll have two more tomorrow.  They call it General Conference, and we do this twice a year.  I call it having my bucket filled.  It was a crazy day, but I was able to keep up and manage everything because my spirit was at peace.  Today I thank the Lord for the wonderful craziness that I call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment