Saturday, January 28, 2012

Stomach Flu

I know I said I was going to write about the happy things that come my way.  Stomach flu wouldn't seem to fit this category, hmmm?

A few days ago, one of the twins came down with a minor case of diarrhea.  I've seen it misspelled "dire rear," and I think that fits nicely, doesn't it?  Of course, it didn't take long for the other twin to get it as well.  Not a big deal, just a few extra diaper changes.  Then one of the older boys started throwing up.  Then another.  And now the girl is at it, too.  It doesn't look like it's anything worse than a 24-hour bug, but it's never fun to be feeling terrible.

I've put little Angel to bed five times now, and have had to do a complete change of bed linens and pajamas four times.  She cries, and says her tummy hurts, then that her nose hurts (yes, the vomit goes up her nose), and her mouth hurts (tastes nasty!).  As I smooth on clean sheets, I feel grateful that we have a washer and a dryer.  In our house.  And they work.  I help her pull on clean pajamas and I am glad that we have enough clothing.  A sweet aunt brought over a bag of hand-me-downs just today with more pajamas.  What great timing!  I put her head on the pillow and smooth her hair, damp with tears, and I am glad we have her.

My Mama heart is filled with love by doing these acts of needed service.  I've enjoyed settling the big boys on the couch as they stay home from school, and getting to visit with them during the day.  Somehow it seems different than helping them when they whine and mope.  Today, I feel a bit of the Divine in my motherhood.  As I soothe each child, I say a little prayer of thanks to Heaven for letting me have these sweet children, even if only for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment