Friday, January 27, 2012

Never on Sunday

We watched the Rose Parade (Live from sunny Pasadena!) a few weeks ago in our pajamas.  It was fun to see the elaborate floats, and fun to hear some of the all-natural materials they are made of.  Crushed rice and hayseed, folks!  I think the floats are better for me than my breakfast cereal is.  I love the marching bands.  There is just something about seeing the all-in-step marching and hearing the foot-tapping music that gets my head nodding and my fingers waving.  The babies were dancing, bobbing their heads from side to side and trying feebly to jump.  So cute.


I did a bit of research on the parade and found out that they have a "Never on Sunday" policy.  When the first of January falls on a Sunday (as it did this year), the parade is postponed until Monday.  It had something to do with not spooking the horses tied at the churches' hitching posts during Sunday services in the late 1800s.  Some might think it is antiquated, but I like it.  It makes me feel good about standing up for what you believe in.

Way to go, Rose Parade!  (And thanks for the 76 Trombones!)

No comments:

Post a Comment