Thursday, May 7, 2015

Choir Concerts

It's the end of the school year, and that means we get all the last concerts.  Chris and David both had choir concerts this week - of course I went!  Oh yeah, I was sicker than a dog and spent the day trying to merge with the couch.  Being horizontal was lovely.  The only thing that would ever get me out of my comfy little nest is needing to support my kids.  They mean the world to me.  I'm so glad I went.

David is on the third row down, left side, in the left picture.  
Chris is on the top row, second head-dot from the right.  What?  You can't see them?

Don't you love these in-the-dark pictures?  You really can't see anything in them, and yet I always see dozens of parents holding up their phones, straining to get a blurry, washed-out shot of their kid.  It's because we love them and are so dang proud of them!

As I was looking at my bad choir concert shots, it occurred to me that life is like this sometimes.  We go to an event mechanically, out of duty, and in the middle of the dark it gets all liht and blurry.  I enjoy the music and have a wonderful time, but my memory is a little bit washed out about the pariculars.  I have gotten good shots of a dark concert before, when I bring my good camera, adjust the settings just right, and crawl up closer to the stage to get an unobstructed view.  Last year, I got some really good pictures of Ben singing in his boy band, Lads in Plaid that way.  And I remember some very cool pictures of Alec in his senior ballroom dance concert.

But when I am focusing on getting the good shot, I miss the concert.  My pictures are great but my memories are fuzzy.  If I sit back and enjoy the show, then my heart is full and I enjoy the evening - but I only have blurry pictures.  It's a decision I have to make every time.

And tonight, I filled up my heart with beautiful music and left my photo gallery alone.  I think it's better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment