Friday, January 23, 2015

In Stitches

What do you do when you have kids with cold ears?  Why, you cover them, of course!  This is what I've been doing over the past couple days while I've been snuggling with my sick kidlets.  And I'm writing out the pattern for you.  You are welcome.  Actually, it's for me because I'll forget how to make them by next week when David decided that he wants a hat, too.


Crochet Winter Hats for Small Fry

I used this diagram I found on Pinterest (but can't find the real source, sorry) to make the top circle.  I will write out the pattern as if you already have a working knowledge of how to double crochet and you know how to do things like start a circle and join with a slip stitch and change colors.  I made the top, flat circle only 5 rounds for my 4 and 6 year olds.  It's a little loose, but I wouldn't want to go smaller or it wouldn't fit for very long.  They grow too fast!


Round 1: 12 DC
Round 2: (2 DC in one stitch)
Round 3: (2 DC in one stitch), 1 DC
Round 4: (2 DC in one stitch). 1 DC, 1 DC
Round 5: (2 DC in one stitch), 1 DC, 1 DC, 1 DC
Round 6-16: DC straight

That's all.  It's really easy, which is why I could make three of them in two days.

Girl Hat
I put bubbly puff stitches (3 DC in same stitch, but don't take off the last YO of each, then on the 4th DC, YO, pull through, YO, pull through all 5 stitches on hook) here and there to make it more fun for her.  She's a bubbly kind of kiddo, and was delighted with the added bit of fun.

Round 3: Puff, 1 DC around
Rounds 6, 9, & 12: Puff, DC, DC, DC around
Shell border: slip stitch, chain 1, skip a stitch, 4 DC in next stitch, skip a stitch, slip stitch

I got the cute little flower here, and it works up in just a couple of minutes.  Fast!

Boy Hat
This one was just changing the colors to make it more interesting.  Oh, and a puff ball on top.  The boys love the pom-pom, but I wonder how long it will be before all their threads are picked out!

Round 1-2: Color 1
Round 3-7: Color 2
Round 8: Color 1
Round 9-10: Color 2
Round 11-12: Color 1
Round 13: Color 2
Round 14-16: Color 1

No comments:

Post a Comment