Thursday, September 27, 2012

Don't Give Up

My mother loved music.  She played the organ at church from when she was in high school until just recently.  She taught us and half the neighborhood to play the piano.  She encouraged and paid for percussionists, trombonists, a violinist, and singing in choirs.  And marching band.  That one deserves its own sentence.

She loved to listen to music around the house, too.  She and my dad had lots of vinyl records, then cassette tapes, then CDs, and then she put it all on iTunes.  Josh Groban was one of her favorites.  She loved his music so much that she inadvertently bought two copies of one of his CDs.  When she realized her doubling up, she laughed and gave the spare to me.  I loved it, but only listened to the songs a time or two before the CD disappeared.  Things do get lost around here.

As we have been packing up Alec's room, somehow the CD resurfaced.  I guess my boy loved the music, too.  I couldn't wait for a quiet moment to listen to it again, but things were so busy - so crazy.

It had been a demanding day, and I was worn out from giving.  It was one of those days that you can't seem to end soon enough, and you dread having to repeat in the morning.  I didn't know if I had the strength to face everything again.  I popped the CD into my stereo as I was getting ready for bed.  The first song is breathtakingly gorgeous.  But the second song made me grind to a halt.  I sank into a chair and just sat and cried.



"You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)" Josh Groban

Don't give up.  It's just the weight of the world.
When your heart's heavy, I will lift it for you.

Don't give up because you want to be heard.
If silence keeps you, I will break it for you.

Everybody wants to be understood; well I can hear you.
Everybody wants to be loved.
Don't give up because you are loved

Don't give up.  It's just the hurt that you hide.
When you're lost inside I will be there to find you.

Don't give up because you want to burn bright.
If darkness blinds you, I will shine to guide you.

Everybody wants to be understood; well I can hear you.
Everybody wants to be loved.
Don't give up because you are loved.

You are loved.  Don't give up.
It's just the weight of the world.
Don't give up.
Every one needs to be heard.
You are loved!

I heard my mother as I listened - loving me, encouraging me.  She spoke right through to my heart.  She was always my biggest cheerleader.  But as I listened more closely, I could hear that she was just quoting our Savior, as if they were saying the words straight to me.

"Keep going.  I know what you are going through.  I have infinite love for you.  Follow Me and I will show you the way."

And I think I will continue to press forward.  Because now I have the strength again.  Thanks, Mom.  Thanks, Lord.  I needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment