Saturday, July 5, 2014

Ho'oponopono

Just typing that word is fun!  It reminds me of a song I used to teach my elementary students called Humu Humu Nuku Nuku A Pua'a, which is NOT the same version as the High School Musical one.  Anyways... but Ho'oponopono is much more awesome.

Ho'oponopono is an traditional Hawaiian practice of healing relationships through love and forgiveness.  My very wise sister-in-law introduced this to us at our adult family reunion, and we were all intrigued.

There are four steps, and you do them all in one interaction.  You express:


I love you (should be a no-brainer, but in difficult relationships we sometimes forget to say this one.)
I'm sorry (for this specific harm I have caused)
Please forgive me (be sincere)
Thank you (for bringing this to my attention, for being a positive influence in my life, whatever...)

It seems like it would go a long way to help smooth over some of the rough spots we all go through and heal the damaged parts of our relationships.  I'm sure it's not a one-time magic pill, but I can only imagine that it would help if it was kept up.

Have to try it tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment