Monday, August 18, 2014

First World Problems

Moving is hard.  And not fun.  And it's all I'm writing about, so I must like focusing on hard, not fun things.  But it's hard to get too worked up about the inconveniences when my missionary boys now live in circumstances far below what I am complaining about.  It really makes me grateful for things I wouldn't have even thought about.  Like flush toilets.  But I have to complain, just a little bit...

Our VoIP phone is not yet hooked up. Somewhat annoying.

I have only 16 inches on either side of my bed.  Tiny little living space!

The downstairs bathroom still does not have a working door, so we have one bathroom to share with 8 people. Only bad when we all gotta go at the same time, or before church.

There is not room for us all to sit at the table for dinner (the table hits against the stools at the island if we try to pull the table away from the wall).  This one is a sticking point.  Eating dinner together is A BIG DEAL to me.

On the other hand, we still have access to a phone. We have internet again, we have indoor plumbing, and we have enough food to eat. I love my bed, and am grateful it fits in my new room.  Seeing pictures of open sewers where Ben is in Madagascar gives me pause. I need to be more grateful for all the nice things we do have.

Random thoughts:

It is easier to clean up if you have less garbage. Staying clean is even easier.

Don't hide your junk in prickly bushes. You just lose the desire to clean up.

A smaller house means we interact more. I like that.

Divesting ourselves of so much stuff means we are becoming more attached to our people. That's a good thing.

When I feel like I have too many burdens on my shoulders, I should try getting out of the way and letting the Lord do His work through me.  His plan seems to work better.

No comments:

Post a Comment