Monday, February 10, 2014

Homemade Cough Remedy

I had a bad cough.  That is an understatement.  Forgive me for all my sick writing.  It does seem that our family gets slammed with illness in January.  Wait - it's not January anymore!  So we're a bit late.  That's pretty normal for us, too.

But my bad cough.  Nasty.  It was constant enough to make me wonder if I'd been a smoker in a previous life.  I coughed so much that every muscle between my sternum and my hips was screaming for three days.  Let me tell you, this is one way they never tell you about how to get rock-hard abs.  No sit ups for me, thankyouverymuch.  But man, was I working those core muscles!  And when I got a string of coughs going on, life just had to stop until I was done.

Angel keeps telling me to cough in my "oboe," so don't cough into your fist like in this picture.

I wanted to find some sort of fix for the cough attacks.  Hate those.  I did lots of research and found a variety of things that are supposed to make coughs better.  Chamomile (helps your immune system), honey (soothing to the throat), apple cider vinegar (anitspetic maybe?), lemon juice (thins mucous), and even cayenne pepper (suppresses pain receptors in your throat, I think).  And water, water, water.  Drink lots of water.

So I mixed them all up together and made this recipe.  Kind of reminds me of my little brother's first attempt at making a recipe.  He got out a bowl and poured in some milk and water.  He cracked an egg in it and sprinkled on pepper.  Then he crumbled up a piece or two of bread and floated them on top of the mixture.  When he was done, he slid the bowl into the fridge and waited for it to turn into something.  Cute boy!

COLD CONCOCTION TO MAKE YOUR COUGHS RUN AWAY.

Ready?

1 cup very warm chamomile tea
2-4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons honey
dash of cayenne pepper.

Mix together and sip while warm.

At the first taste, my mouth wanted to turn inside out and run away!  After that it was better and I even liked it by the end of the cup.  Did a good job on my coughs, too, and kept the bad ones at bay for a few hours.  Two cups of this kept me good for the day.

David and Eddie were recipients of my concoction, too.  Eddie liked it, but David gasped it down as fast as he could.  But it helped.  Trent's face after his first swallow was great.  Trent should have had more, because the next day he was coughing hard enough to dislocate a rib.  Poor guy has been in horrible pain since then.  Maybe I'd better go make up more Cough Tea to pour on his back.  That'll fix him.

No comments:

Post a Comment