Thursday, February 16, 2012

Four-Oh

I'm turning 40 soon.  <sigh>  I mean, it's not like I haven't known it was coming.  It didn't even sneak up on me.  Lately, I've been very aware of its slow, ominous progression toward me.


Part of me thinks it's not a big deal.  I will be just the same person after my birthday as before, right?  Another part of me is petrified.  I'm entering a new stage of life with children graduating from high school, the end of baby-daze, and filled with scary unknowns.  I could just say, as others I've heard, "I'm not 40 - I'm 20 with 20 years of experience."  But I'm actually glad to not have to do 20 over again.  It wasn't an awful year, by any means (I got engaged to an amazing man!  Woot!), but I am happy to be here and not there.  Or I could say, "Dang!  Look at me now!  I'm hot at 40!"  <oh... yes... snorting with laughter>

I got a letter in the mail.  I think it was supposed to be a birthday card.  But it didn't help me to feel very cheered up about my birthday.  Not.  At.  All.


Sorry the paper is a little bit crumply.  My aging hands may have nearly wadded it up.  Grr.

So, happy birthday to you!  And to send birthday happiness, we are going to tell you that you are now in the 40 to 65 age bracket!  And please come down and have an exam party with us!  With fun party games like this!

Wow.  I can hardly wait to schedule my appointment.


No comments:

Post a Comment