Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Today I...

I'm so bummed that our taxes are not done.  Due to a combination of not getting the correct W-2 forms and having a complicated financial year, we will have to file an extension.  It's not the end of the world, I know.  But I hate being late.  I don't like to run or hurry - especially when I have the pressure of a deadline looming over me. I even hate not being a little bit early.  It just unnerves me to not be where I am supposed to be when I am supposed to be there.  And so not having our taxes done before April 15 is really giving me a anxiety fits.  Gah.

So today I need to list the good things I have done today so I don't feel like a total failure.


Today, I made a batch of really good bread.  It's mostly whole wheat, but it still rose and made four great, tall loaves.  The kids will have delicious sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

Today, I cleaned the kitchen, even though I didn't want to.  I did all the dishes and cleared the counters and wiped everything off and swept the floor.  I have to remember that one, because if you walked into the kitchen now, you would see no trace of my hard work.  Dinner happens and BAM!  Messy kitchen again.  But for a while, it was clean.

I read a few pages in a book.  That helps my brain to remember that I am a college graduate.  I am a smart person - sometimes.  I love to read, but don't get to do it very often.  Today, I got to read a few pages before the twins both needed to sit on my relaxing lap to show me a new yo-yo and ask how to draw the letter K.

I helped my neighbor lady figure out what to make for dinner when she was getting stuck in a menu rut.  Maybe I didn't really do much except provide moral support while she flipped through her cookbook, but being social is important.

Today, I took my dad for a walk.  We struggled up the hill against a stiff headwind, and nearly ran back home.  The sun was shining and it was gorgeous - for that part of the afternoon, anyway.

I made it to my son's track meet.  Granted, I was a little bit late (the bread was baking and I couldn't leave yet) and missed his first race.  But he was competing in four events and I could watch the others, right?  I came with warm wassail for him and blankets to keep out the wild windstorm we were having.  We even had a long conversation about the importance of staying with mom so that I didn't lose one of the twins like last track meet.  The little people and I were prepared.  What a great mom I am!  We got there just as they cancelled the rest of the meet due to bad weather.  I guess they figured, when the pole vaulting mats blew down the field into the runners, that having a track meet with 40 mph winds was a bad idea.  Glad we stayed away from the shot put area!  We did show up, so that counts for something.  And I was able to take my chilly boy straight home so he didn't have to ride the buses.

I stayed awake all day long, in spite of the fact that I got less than 6 hours of sleep.  I've been tired the whole day, but I didn't snap or snark at anyone.  Major victory.

Today, I had a nice conversation with my husband and listened to his worries.  It was nice to spend time with him, and I didn't even get anxious about the things that were not getting done while I sat with him.

I did not laugh when Georgie raced past me, hollering as he passed, "My bladder is so full!"  I remained a helpful, supportive mother instead of dissolving onto the floor in fits of uncontrolled laughter like I wanted to.  Where did he learn that?

Today, I took a shower.  Total score.  It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment