Monday, November 26, 2012

The Ultimate Career

I've been thinking a lot about being a mom.  I just have to say that I love it.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm learning to find joy even in the difficult parts.  I've been told that I need to "get away" or "take a break" or "make some time for yourself."  Yeah.  When I have eight kids and a husband and a household to manage... when is there time for anything?  If there was anything, I'd just want some sleep.

I do understand the need for me to recharge, to have a break.  But it is frustrating to think I have to do all that I have to do, PLUS take out time for me.  And time out for Mom often takes the lowest priority, you know.  

So I've been learning to take mini-breaks.  I can pray for an extra moment when I dash into the bathroom.  I can ponder and plan as I crawl out of bed.  I have been impressed with how much of a difference it makes when I just smile.  And I ask for and give hugs.  Lots of them.  Today I'm working on giving compliments, because it is a two-for-one bucket filler special!  Fills my bucket, fills someone else's, too.  What a bonus.  

I'm glad I get to be Mom.  I have thought of other jobs, other careers, but this is the best one.  C.S. Lewis knew it, too.  He said, 

"The homemaker is the ultimate career.  All other careers exist for one purpose, and that is to support the ultimate career."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment