Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Learning Colors

Red.  Blue.  Black.  The twins are starting to notice that colors are different.  I'm glad, 'cuz their dad is a little bit colorblind.  We'll see how the little ones do.  The Angel has them all figured out, so she is a good coach.


When I start teaching new concepts, I try to incorporate it into as many ordinary things as I can.  "You want a drink of water?  Great!  You can have a drink in the RED cup, and Georgie can have a drink in the BLUE cup.  And Angel has the ORANGE cup.  You have red, Georgie has blue, and Angel has orange.  What color is your cup?"  We go over it enough times to make a non-toddler-mother nervous tics, because that is how they learn.

Georgie is starting to get the hang of red, blue, and green.  Freddie thinks everything is "lello."  We go through a single color and do identification.  "Here is a WHITE paper.  Look!  Your shirt is white.  What else is white?  Your milk?  Good job!  This envelope is white, and the cord is white, and this spoon is white."  Then I ask Freddie what color the spoon is.

Lello.




 

 Everything good is lello.  It's such a cheerful color, and now I have a more cheerful name for it.  The marshmallows are my favorite.  It's such a cheerful color, and now I have a more cheerful name for it.  In honor of Freddie and one of the most cheerful people I haven't met yet, I'll call the color Maralello.

We all need a bit of cheer, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment