Friday, May 25, 2012

Princess Bride and the Graduation Party


I’m writing this at four in the morning, watching Princess Bride with a bunch of newly-minted high school graduates.  Yeah, I know I just said that I didn’t like being up at 5:30 in the morning, and here it is even earlier.  Losing sleep over our kids is just one of those things that moms do. 

Alec graduated from high school yesterday.  Yes, just yesterday.  The graduation he had a few weeks ago was a graduation from our local university, as he was getting his associate’s degree.  Is he awesome, or what?  My boy has graduated from high school, with a college degree.  I’m so proud of him.  After high school graduation,  his school sponsors an all-night party, and we parents get to help chaperone.  It’s a good way to give then a fun party, while keeping it safe and clean.  I’m all for that.  And I like being involved in my kids' activities.

So that's how I ended up watching this movie at this hour.  I have to keep an eye on the kids who might be tempted by the dim room to be naughty.  I've got a good evil eye I can shoot at them.  But I don't have to, because they have all been so good.  I am impressed.  The worst (if you can call it that) thing I have seen was four boys, with empty 2-liter soda bottles and wheeled office chairs, jousting in the hallway.  It was a little wild, but ultimately harmless.  They are great kids.

Back to the movie.  “True love.  That’s the most noble thing in the world.”  That’s one of the best lines from Princess Bride.  Or how about, “Mawwage.  Mawwage is what bwings us togevvah today.  Mawwage.  That bwessed event.  That dweam wifin a dweam  Wuv.  Twoo love will fowwow you fowevah  So tweashoe yo wuv..."  

Treasure your love, indeed.  And then take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment