Tuesday, April 17, 2012

About the Sunday Man

Being a mother is not easy.  Let me say that again.  Being a mother.  Is. Not. Easy. But I get better at it as I go along.  Some of the things which troubled me as a young mother have become easier.  There are an awful lot of things I wish I'd known when I started.  I can't count the number of times I've kicked myself and shouted, "Why did it take me five (or six, or seven, or even eight) babies to figure this out?"  But I do wish I'd known then some of the things I know now.  Here is another post in a What I Wish I'd Known (or WIWIK) series.


We are often late to church.  Sunday mornings are just a riot, you know?  We all play a little harder on Saturday than we are used to, because we can.  And then we try to sleep in on Sunday morning, because we need to, or because we feel like we are entitled to it.  We lounge around a teeny bit, and then, all of the sudden, it's run and hurry time!

Where is my tie?  I have a black sock and a blue one.  I can't find my dress shoes.  No, those dark pants show all those smudges really well.  Your shirt is so wrinkly!  Did you wad it up in your drawer for a week?  There's an awful lot of "I can't find" going on.  It makes me crazy.  And I'm hurrying too, because I actually want to put on makeup and nylons, and do something cute with the Angel's hair.  Cah-razy.

I wish I had known about the Sunday Man.  He is a good friend of ours these days, and lives on the floors of the boys' rooms on Saturday afternoon.  The kids, as part of their Saturday chores, have to round up their Sunday clothes and lay them out for the next day.  It is so much easier to get dressed when you have all of your clothes ready and waiting.  And it gives Mom a chance to edit and veto as necessary, or to run a quick load of laundry.

The boys really get a kick out of arranging the Sunday Man on the floor, with the shirt above the pants, and the socks and shoes on his "feet."  He looks like Flat Stanley lying there, just without a head.  They like to arrange him in different poses, or holding things.  I'd post pictures if I could find my camera (it was stolen by babies).

Now, if we could only do something about that feeling like we can sleep in, we might be on time more often.  One step at a time, I guess.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment