Friday, September 14, 2012

Irrational

The definition of rational, I figured out years ago, is "you think like I do."  Irrational, of course means, "you don't think like I do."  My children are often irrational.  They don't do things the way I would.  And that isn't always a bad thing.

David is running for student council in the elementary school.  He had to do many hours of before- and after-school service, as well as a few hours of at-home service (I liked that requirement).  He had to make two posters (which we did as emergency homework late that night before).  And he had to do a short (1-2 minutes) skit.

 I thought he should do something off the YMCA song.  He could write a quick few lines, sing them and have the kids do the actions (sing along!):

Hey kids, there's no need to feel down
I said hey kids, pick yourselves off the ground
I said hey kids, 'cause we're in a great town
There's no need to be unhappy.

You all should vote for D-A-V-E
You all should vote for D-A-V-E
I will do a great job, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time...

Pretty awesome, don't you think?  Except that David didn't like it.  He wanted to have someone smash a pie in his face.  I could fight him, or try to dissuade him, but I wisely refrained.  Instead, I listened to him and encouraged his ideas.  It was actually a bit difficult to let him do it his way, but I'm learning that it turns out better that way.  And it is easier on Mom, who would end up having to do all the work if it was her idea.

We had a bit of a compromise, starting out with a D-A-V-E chant where the kids in the audience did the Village People actions with him, and ending up with "I'll do anything to make this school a great place, even getting a pie in the face!"  Eddie got to do the pie-smashing part, and loved it.

It went over just fine, and David did a great job.  Imagine that - he can think differently than me, and it's OK!.  Maybe it's rational after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment