Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Castles in the Sky

OK, they weren't actually castles that Chris was building, they were telescopes to put in an observatory.  And it wasn't really in the sky, but it looked like it.  There is my disclaimer.

I peeked over Chris's shoulder the other day, looking to see what he was doing on the computer.  He had been hunched over the keyboard for a long time, absolutely intent on not moving.  I wondered if his eyes were dilated or swirling.  On his computer screen, in the middle of a large blue... blueness, was an observatory.  Maybe the blue was sky.  It's hard to tell.

The observatory was a line drawing done in a computer-aided drawing program.  Chris was working on rounding the top and making the large slit in the roof for the telescopes.  His detailed depiction of the telescope included mirrors and lenses.  I was impressed.

The observatory was a challenge thrown to Chris by Ben.  Ben wondered if Chris could do a structure that intricate.  The answer is a resounding yes.  And we are all impressed at Chris's skill - and patience.

And now I wonder where my sky-castles are.  Am I diligently working on the challenges that have been thrown my way?  Or have I thrown my hands up in defeat as I slump into the easy chair?  At the end of the day, do I have a project, improved from my work of yesterday, and saved for more refining tomorrow?

I think I do.

I think we all have impressive business that we are engaged in.  And I think the biggest challenge of all is to recognize the good works we do, and to see the real importance in them.  We are building castles in the sky, but they often look like Legos on the floor.  Or dinner in the oven.  Or an "I'm sorry."  Or kisses on the scraped knee.  Or a listening ear.  Or a "Glad you're home."  Because that's what Heavenly mansions are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment