Friday, April 29, 2016

Yummy Chili

I was wondering what to make for dinner yesterday when my neighbor called.  She had made a big pot of chili for dinner the other night, and her children charitably declined to eat the leftovers because they knew we wanted it for dinner.  I made a pan full of cornbread and popped it into the oven.  Once our house was starting to smell delicious, I ran across the street and got the chili.  All this "popping" and "running" makes it sound like I was moving quickly.  Fear not - I still move in slow-motion.  I just want to sound more animated than I really am.  How I really live is hanging out on the couch and taking lots of naps.  Three-toed sloths have nothing on me in the slow department!

This is not chili but a delicious black bean soup she made for me last week.  Recipe below.

But last night, we had delicious home-made chili.  Thanks, nice neighbor lady and your very accommodating children!  You can cook for me anytime!

Black Bottom Soup (pictured above)
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or 4 1/2 cups homecooked beans)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (or 1-2 tomatoes, chopped)
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Throw it all in a large pot.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.  Serve in a bowl over a scoop of cooked rice.  Garnish with chopped green onion and fresh tomatoes.


Fresh tomatoes.  Yummy.  I think I need to eat some soup and then think about planting a garden.  And bless my neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment