Saturday, November 9, 2013

Fall in Virginia

Gorgeous.  That's all I can say.  We really don't have words for the amount of beauty that makes your eyes open wide and fills your heart an amount of peace and joy that makes it feel close to bursting.  Wow.  It's not just the fall colors on the trees, or the amount of trees.  Living in the desert, I love lots of plants and trees.  And it's not even how the grass and green things grow right up to the edge of the road.  It's how nature feels.  It's how alone and loved I can feel when all I'm surrounded my is trees and grass and water.  Heart-full.

We went to Colonial Williamsburg.  They have done a great job at recreating (and restoring?) a bustling town in the early American colonial era.  I loved seeing the people all dressed up in period costume, selling herbs from their garden or strolling though the streets.  The plan wasp to buy the expensive tickets and make a day of going through all the houses and shops, but my dad was so tired from traveling that we just walked down a few streets instead.  Still, it was fun and I loved it.

We went to Jamestown and took the little auto tour of the island.  Where have I been that I didn't know that Jamestown was on an island?  I also didn't realize that it has been 400 years since Jamestown was settled.  400!  The place feels like deep history.  So solemn and so quiet.  I loved it.

I'll post pictures when I can.  Right now I'm making do with my dad's iPad, and I really don't know how to insert pictures... or really how to work it much at all.  So pictures will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment